Sunday, March 21, 2010

..Jaida is SICK..

Jaida hadn't been eating very well since coming home. It was a battle to keep her awake and interested in eating. Friday morning, March 19, 2010, I finally decided I was going to pump and try to feed her with a bottle after not being satisfied that she had received enough to eat. She gulped it down like nothing. I knew she was hungry! I then started changing her diaper, when I notice that she had some discharge, not knowing that it is completely normal for a baby girl. I called the pediatrician and made an emergency appt. in which they informed me that I had to be there in the next half hour or wait until 5 that evening to be seen. I opted to come asap.
When I arrived at the dr. they all kinda chuckled at me when I told them the reason for me bringing her in, and reassured me that it was completely normal. The dr. then asked if I still wanted to have a physical done for her. I said yes,of course. They took her temperature and found that it was only 92! I was alarmed because she didn't feel cold to the touch! After taking her temp 4 more times to make sure it was really the right reading, they told me to get to the E.R. as soon as possible. I was completely in shock.
I took her to the Pediactric E.R. at Howard County General Hospital. They took her temp upon arrival and it was 93! After being at the hospital for just a few short minutes she stopped breathing! I knew that something serious was wrong! They began running all sorts of labs: blood work, urinalysis, and a dreaded spinal tap. They were unsuccessful all 5, yes 5 times they tried for the spinal tap. My poor baby girl at this point was so sick she didn't even make a peep while they were continually poking and prodding her little body. She was so lethargic she barely moved. It broke my heart! Trent was at work, feeling helpless. The hospital decided that they were unable to give the best care for her there and decided that transferring her to Johns Hopkins Hospital was a better fit for her illness. By this time she has stopped breathing at least 6 times! I have to say that the nurses who cared for her there were the absolute best! They were amazing to me as well. comforting me and helping me to keep it together! Also one of Trent's co-worker's Tracy was working at Howard County and came down and sat with me, hugged me, and explained everything that was going on! I am so grateful to her for that! I needed her support!
The ambulance finally arrived to take us downtown. I was so overwhelmed at this point and my baby girl wasn't looking very good at all. I was so glad to see Trent waiting for me on the other end. His boss Laura was awesome. She was calling everyone that she could to make sure we had the very best care. Plus being there with Trent. She was then admitted to the PICU. They hooked her up on pressurized oxygen and IV antibiotics. Her poor little body is covered in bruises from all the times they stuck her and were unsuccessful in getting IVs into her little tiny veins. It was extremely hard for Trent and I to witness our little sweet Jaida being poked! She also received a feeding tube. Trent's parents came to the hospital. Trent and his dad gave her a Priesthood blessing.
Trent and I stayed the night, Trent on the floor of his office and I in the Wilhide room, a room set aside for mothers of children in the PICU. We were exhausted! The next morning they attempted another spinal tap twice and were unsuccessful as well! She was being weaned off her oxygen and showing signs of improvement. Later Saturday she was able to move to a regular room. She was off her oxygen and also now able to regulate her own temperature. She is starting to look a lot better at this point. At least now when they poke at her she is crying!
After all this I have to know that I was being watched over. As I think of all the things that had to happen just right for her to still be here. I cannot explain the amount of pain and anguish I felt through this ordeal, but also cannot explain the peace, love and comfort I have felt through my Heavenly Father. I know that he really hears my prayers and is looking out for me. Also all the people who were there for Trent and I. Their concern was so genuine. I am also so relieved that through this my mother has been here. She has unselfishly given her time to take care of my 2 little boys night and day, so that Trent and I can be with our Jaida.

11 comments:

Love Family said...

Oh that makes me cry. I am so glad she is doing better now. and what cute pictures of her and how proud the boys are to be her big brothers! I love it! :) and you look amazing!! Oh, it makes me miss you guys so much seeing all your pics! Can't wait till you come visit. We hope Jaida keeps getting better...keep us updated. We love you guys!

Jamie Reese said...

I wish I was there!!! We are thinking about your family.

Holly said...

Oh that is so scary. Having our own scare with my baby, I know how it feels to be completely helpless. I am glad she is doing better. Hope she continues to get better!

The Woods said...

I desperately wish I could be there to give you a hug and to help out. You're a great example of strength to me and I'm sure to others. I love you and little Jaida Bug.

Ryan and Tenneal said...

I am so glad she is getting better, out prayers are with you!

Johnson Family said...

So glad that she is doind better. She is absolutely beautiful and I love the picks of your boys enjoying her. There is nothing like a new little spirit in your life. My heart goes out to you for all that you have had to go through. I will be thinking of you and your family, and keep you in our prayers.

Burton Family said...

I am soo sorry. I wish we could be ther to help in any way we can. Please know you are in our prayers and we are always thinking of you. Missing you tons, we love you guys!!!

lins.e said...

makes me sad!!! Love ya!!! Glad you put some pictures up though... wish you guys were here so we could help!!

The Ballou's said...

Oh Mikelle. Those pictures break my heart. I am so glad that she is feeling better. She is beautiful. Congrats!

Ken and Jos said...

I'm sorry to hear she's sick - so what was wrong??? Congratulations by the way, I didn't even know you had her already.

Darci said...

I am so slow at getting you a CONGRATULATIONS post!!!!! We are so excited for you guys! She is beautiful and how fun that her big brothers love her SOOO much!!! Sending you our thoughts, prayers and hugs, we miss you guys a ton! Hope Jaida keeps getting better and better!!!Love ya:)